Monday, November 24, 2008

A New Tradition

A handful of years ago I came across a scripture that, to my recollection, said that the people fasted in thanksgiving. Well, I've since tried to find that scripture and have yet to succeed. The closest match in the index is Alma 45:1 Behold, now it came to pass that the people of Nephi were exceedingly rejoiced... therefore they gave thanks unto the Lord their God; yea, and they did fast much and pray much, and they did worship God with exceedingly great joy.


Anywho, the idea of fasting in thanksgiving strikes me as genius! How better to show one's true gratitude than abstaining from gluttony, strengthening the spirit and the spiritual bond with god, and giving that which was refrained from to those who are in need? Much better, I think, than eating a weeks worth of food in one meal and sleeping away the afternoon.

Of course, Thanksgiving is an American institution - family and friends gathering together to share each other's company over really great food! These are good things and impossible to do away with, so I've started a new tradition. I've declared the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to be my Fasting in Thanksgiving Day. It's a great way to kick off the holiday season! It puts me in a better position to be thankful and to think of Christ, gives me the opportunity to donate a fast offering as my first gift of the season, plus shrinks my stomach down to keep me from over-doing it on Thursday. Of course, I can't go last minute Thanksgiving food shopping on an empty stomach or I buy out the entire store! Ha ha! So join me if you will and have a Happy Holiday Season!

1 comment:

LaDawna said...

Saddi I love you, this is such a good idea! We do have so much to be thankful for. I hope your Thanksgiving is wounderful!!! I agree Levi is wounderful.