Friday, August 7, 2009

growing up and out

Lasterday I found my husband putting a 6-9 month shirt on my 3 year old, so I figured I should maybe, just maybe, sort out the clothes drawer - pass on the small, scrap the stained, make room for the new. What a laugh! There was only the one 6-9 month shirt, but there were plenty of 12 and 18 month old clothes to do away with. I did have to keep two 18 month pajama short/shirt sets because the thought of losing them had Tomas in inconsolable tears of despair! How could I resist the tear streaked and sobbing, "I sad Mom. My shirt a me!" and the repeated attempts to return the pjs to the drawer.

This episode caused me two funnies and one sigh. It's funny ha ha that my big boy still fits (barely) in those 18 month pajamas while my little 9 month old girl will probably be in 18 month clothes before winter - they are so opposite in the developemental world! It's funny hmm that we can get so emotionally attached to emotionless material things - things that are familiar, dependable, and comfortable. *Sigh* It's not always easy to grow up and out of things we love - sometimes it's exciting and worthwhile, but sometimes it's disappointing and sorrowful.

1 comment:

Tricia S. said...

What's funny is that mine were born at the same time and one can still wear 0-3 month and the other fits perfectly into 6-9 month ;)What can you do? Luckily mine aren't old enough to get attached to things, but there mom is. I can't let go of any of there stuff. But I'm sure in time I'll be able to.