This year, Tomy wins first prize for imagination. He was a cococrow - a pokemon that he made up all by himself. His costume was based on a very simple pattern, but that did not keep him from making things complicated. He threatened to cancel the holiday twice: first when shopping for brown fleece that somehow wasn't chocolatey brown enough (yeah, I still don't know what that was about - at least the inexpensive felt magically fit his preconceived notions of cococrowiness) and second when he tried his hat on for the first time and it looked like a penguin (he was pretty devastated though I promised that I wasn't finished yet) . Luckily, when all was said and done, you couldn't have found a happier boy. He wanted to wear the costume everyday and would flap about the house whenever occasion and his mother would permit. That alone made the holiday a super success.
Since Tomy was a pokemon, Hazel opted to be Pikachu. It makes me laugh that the two of them keep wanting to have coordinating costumes; it's so sweet. Her hat turned out exceptionally cute, if I do say so myself, and the results made me smile. Hazel's convincing "thunderbolt attack" also put a grin on my face - that girl holds nothin' back.
Tomy was putting the pressure on Levi and I to be pokemon trainers, but we just weren't gonna go there. Instead we went with an Avatar: The Last Airbender theme. Earlier in the year Tomy wanted to be Prince Zuko and Hazel wanted to be Toph - they both have some sweet bending moves - but then they met pokemon and well... that was that. Anywho, Levi went as Sokka and I went as the Painted Lady.
Levi's costume - pretty nice. It was handy that his hair was already shaved from the marathon. (He was a bit sad that he didn't have a crazy sharp boomerang thingy. It does rather complete the ensemble doesn't it?) My costume - uh well... what can you expect when I make my own costume the last minute and then ditch most of it because I'm already too hot packing around Gubler Baby #3? I've decided that I'm just gonna be satisfied with the fabulous costume in my head. I mean really! The Painted Lady! How perfectly Halloween-y is her costume? Spooky!
Baby Rowan managed to foil a couple other costume ops as well. The ladies on my mom's side of the family had a "witches lunch out" at the Pasta Factory (yum!) and I went to tell a story at my Auntie Marvene's bedtime story assembly. Both were very fun and excellent chances to bust out a new look, but due to both the clothing claustrophobia and largeness of girth, my many attempted costumes were left in a huge pile on the bed. Oh well, there's always next year :) Mostly, I look forward to seeing what costumes my little ones will decide on with Rowan in the mix. Intriguing!
BTW The title of today's post is brought to you by a little known and horribly scripted Halloween story that was found at the end of a Halloween CD I had many a year ago. It was long, tedious, and required much mental effort to sit through, but it was all worth it (um... no) to hear that final, suspense-filled line "it was... HALLOWEEN!" (Insert some maniacal laughter and dramatic organ music.)





3 comments:
What a delightful read. And I applaud you for your costume creating skills. For Halloween, I simply went to Costco and threw a tiger costume in the cart for Jared and called it good! :) Brian and I were both losers and dressed up as... ourselves for Halloween! ;~P
i was wondering what the cococrow would look like!(since we didn't see you guys.) both pokemon are super cute.
and the breakfast and all other food that i am making come from patterns.
Wow! You are super mom. I think it is amazing that you make your own costumes, and I got a good laugh out of reading about Tomy.
Post a Comment