Wednesday, June 3, 2009

You Are What You Eat

If this is true, then my family is REALLY GOOD! Or at least we should be after eating homemade pizza approximately twice a week for the last two months - yeah, it's THAT good.

I found this recipe while blog surfing one night and since my life's goal has been to find the perfect pizza dough recipe, I decided to try it. It is everything the blogger promised - simple, easy, fast, delicious, freezable, and fun to experiment with! I can die happy.

Homemade Pizza in Under 30 Minutes!
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1tsp sugar
1tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
2 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast in the water.
Add other ingredients and mix.
Knead until smooth.
Press into a greased pan. (We use corn meal instead to make it pizza parlor perfect!)
Add toppings.
Bake @ 450 for 12-15 min. until the crust is lightly browned.

We (meaning Levi) tend to lack imagination in the field of toppings (meat and cheese - what else?) but we enjoy messing with thickness and size. We've done everything from rolling it out thin; to inch thick, pan style in our round cake pans; to 4 inch diameter snack pizzas. This is how it appeared when Mom and Dad dropped by last Saturday and stayed for dinner. It was my new stone's maiden voyage, and while it did take longer to cook than the sheet pan, it performed beautifully.


Here's a single batch of dough. It covers our 15" pizza stone perfectly and is the perfect amount for four adults. To feed just our small family, we like to make a double batch and divide it into thirds, freezing 2/3 for later.


Canadian bacon and pepperoni for the guys, add pineapple for the girls. Sprinkle generously with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese.

Yum yum! Good to the last ... um... morsel? So, what are you having for dinner? Odds are, we're having pizza.


PS I know I overused the word perfect, but it was the perfect word to use.

PPS A single batch is quite easily made by hand (trust me, this recipe supplied me my first time ever considering mixing bread by hand and I was pleasantly surprised by the ease and success of my venture) while a 3X (possibly 4x, I have yet to try it) batch easily fits in my machine.

PPPS I was going to credit the blogger who posted this little bit of magic, but the link I saved is now a dead end - so I send my thanks into the cosmos for the lady who made my life easier, tastier, and cheaper (less expensive, that is) too.

10 comments:

Jen said...

So according to the title of this post, does that mean you are pizza?

(Pushes glasses up nose and laughs snortingly.)

I'll have to try this, as my dough recipe takes like three blooming hours.

Saddie said...

Well, we're definitely cheesy, not to mention doughy around the middle. :o)

keri said...

Sadie, I got the plums at my mom's your welcome to go get some.

Anonymous said...

That looked YUMMY! I am going to try it! I want to be pizza too! Giggle Giggle.

The Farnsworths said...

Wow, thanks for sharing! Your pizza looks even better than the pizza parlor's. I think I will have to try your recipe! Yum!

Dendra said...

Saddie, I doubled the recipe for parents night. It made 2 of my big sheet cake pans. I think the thinner dough cooks better. Thanks for the recipe sweetie!

rayndrop said...

ooohhh...i SO want to try this. this looks so tasy. when i do try, i'm sure i will have some questions, but i do know your phone number. thanks for the recipe. it will be great for family movie night!!

(i was going to ask about the link, but then you included the story at the end.)

rayndrop said...

i meant to say "tasty." (i'm just a real fast typer!hehehe)

where did you get the stone?

The Heaton's said...

Thanks for sharing! Pizza is one of our favorites! Looks yummy!

jayson.shay said...

Saddie, I'm so glad you are enjoying this recipe. Remember me telling you I was loving making homemade pizza this year? Well, your recipe and Betty Crocker's are exactly the same! Yes, she is a genius, even if she is fictional! It was first published in 1956, after one of the staff members went to Italy on vacation! We use our dutch oven skillets in place of a stone. I haven't tried the cornmeal yet, but I bought some lasterday just for this purpose. It is comforting to know somewhere in this big world I have family eating the same meal, if not together!